Friday, May 2, 2008

Race Time

OK, now I can catch my breath! I had my first final on Thursday so I was a bit stressed on time. I thought the editing lab would be packed right up until the deadline but I was wrong. I was the only one left in there when Amanda came to meet me at 7:30pm, which is when I had to throw together the rest of the sound and print to video. I would have put more time into the soundtrack if it had been a normal assignment but time ran out on me. I enjoyed the rough theatre experience. It was fun to get together to see what everyone came up with. I was really impressed by everyone’s work, especially the films that were created with scanners, web cams and cell phones. Patrick’s piece really sticks out in my mind because he only used a scanner. I did not think that being in a dark room would give such good results, but it did.
I had a few ideas before the race but none of them seemed to fit the chalk egg, so I started brainstorming and digging through my kid’s toy box. I found the couch, the “carpet” and the fabric for the wallpaper. Then I remembered the egg-plants that my mom gave the kids for Easter. They are flat-bottomed ceramic eggs with potting soil and seeds. I did not find the little pipe until the last minute but it worked well, I thought. Editing was the hardest part; I had technical difficulty and somehow lost all the work I did on Tuesday night. Luckily, Clay taught a few shortcuts while I was there and I was able to recreate it quickly.

No comments: