Thursday, March 6, 2008

Scratched Again

Watching Thad Povey’s work with the Scratch Film Junkies now that I have a little practice with creating this kind of film was a very different experience. This time the film kept my attention the whole time as I tried to figure out what techniques they were using and for how many frames, while at the same time watching for the aesthetic value. I now more fully appreciate the time and planning that go into creating these films. The film did not lose me toward the end the way “To the Beat” did the first time I watched it. I feel like if I watch “to the Beat” a second time I would not lose interest toward the end and I would pay more attention to the styles and techniques the Scratch Film Junkies were using.
The images move so quickly, but I was drawn to the blue circles in this film, just like I was in “To the Beat.” I was really impressed by what looked like rayograms that had been painted or inked with green. The effect was really unique. The painted lines were also very interesting.
I would like to see both of these films again, maybe a few times, to get a chance to really study there techniques and maybe try to figure out how many frames they are using for each image and style.
I really enjoyed working on this project with Clay and I liked the way it looked during projection. When we were splicing he film together and putting it on the reel, we were not sure if we had it going in the right direction. We actually rolled it onto the reel a couple of times, so I was happy to see that we got it going in the right direction, thanks to Clay.

No comments: